AMAYA GURPIDE / JORDAN SOKOL
Figure Drawing and Painting
July 22 > 26, 2019
5 days tuition
15 places are available for each workshops.
Teaching is conducted in English and students are expected to have a working knowledge of the language.
Below 50% of participants the course is canceled.
Payment in 2 installments: 50% upon registration, 50% the following month.
AMAYA GURPIDE AND JORDAN SOKOL
July 22 > 26, 2019 - 5 days tuition - 30 hours
Figure Drawing and Painting
Location:Paris Academy of Art – 78, rue Raspail – 92270 Bois-Colombes - France
Level:Beginner to Advanced
Medium:Graphit drawing and Oil on canvas or panel
Class size: 8 to 15 students
Schedule:9 am > 12 am / 1 pm > 4 pm
This 5 day course will focus on one long pose. The time will be divided into drawing on the first two days with Amaya and painting on the final 3 days with Jordan. Each day will start with an instructional demonstration to introduce major aspects of each artists thought process. Students will work on their own pieces the rest of the day as they are individually coached by the teachers. The class will explore linear and mass oriented approaches, balancing an abstract comprehension of the visual experience with a conceptual understanding of form in space. An emphasis will be placed on the interpretive nature of observation, dissecting and editing visual information to influence the narrative and psychological impact of the work.
Born in Pamplona, Spain she began studying art at the age of 16. In 1999, she moved to New York City to broaden her education in figurative drawing and painting, studying at the Art Students League, the National Academy of Design and the Grand Central Academy. After a decade in New York, Amaya moved to Madrid in 2009 offering figure drawing, anatomy and painting classes from her private studio. In 2014 Amaya returned to the U.S. upon the invitation of the Italy based art school, The Florence Academy of Art, to assist in the opening of their U.S. location in Jersey City, NJ. Amaya is currently a Principal Instructor at The Florence Academy of Art and an adjunct Professor at The New York Academy of Art. Amaya's work has exhibited internationally, and her drawings and paintings are in private collections throughout Europe and the U.S.
Born in Queens, NY, Jordan's work focuses on the human figure. In 2013, after a decade of studying and teaching in Florence, Italy he moved to Spain and began teaching privately from his studio in Madrid. In 2014 Jordan returned to the U.S. upon the invitation of The Florence Academy of Art to open their U.S. location in Jersey City, NJ where he is currently the Academic Director. Over the past 12 years Jordan has taught drawing and painting workshops throughout the the U.S. and Europe. His work has been featured in numerous publications, and he has exhibited internationally, including London's National Portrait Gallery as part of the 2015 BP Portrait exhibition. Jordan is represented by Arcadia Contemporary in Los Angeles.
An important note: Due to their toxicity no solvent or turpentine is allowed during the workshop, neither for medium use nor for cleaning brushes. During these workshops brush cleaning will be done by soaking dirty brushes in safflower oil or walnut oil or linseed oil (note: buy one of these oils in a supermarket and not at an art store; the cheaper the better!) then cleaned with soap and water. If you've never cleaned your brushes in this manner not only is it nontoxic but it's also quite good for the bristles of the brushes.
The first two days of class will be drawing with Amaya and the final three days will be painting with Jordan
Drawing Materials List - Amaya Gurpide
• Graphite pencils: 2H, F, HB, B, 2B, 4B, 6B (recommended Faber Castell)
• Generals white chalk
• Boxcutter or razor blade to sharpen pencils
• Two sand paper blocks (fine grain) for sharpening pencils and white chalk
• Kneaded eraser
• Mono Zero eraser Round, 2.3 mm
• Hand held mirror, pocket size
• Masking Tape
• Stumps (variety of sizes)
• Brushes: Bristle, synthetic (different sizes for massing in)
• Spring or A-Clamp
• Drawing board 19" x 25"
• Canson Mi-Teintes paper (one full sheet) a light medium value like: Grey Flannel, Felt Gray, Pearl.
•1 sheet of tracing paper for transferring your drawing, if you choose to do so
•1 stick of vine charcoal
Painting Materials List - Jordan Sokol
(Some brands I use are Old Holland, Michael Harding and Rublev)
• Lead White (Cremnitz White) or Titanium White - I use "Lead White #1" by Rublev
• Yellow Ochre - I use Blue Ridge Yellow Ochre by Rublev
• Earth Red - such as English Red. Venetian Red or Terra Rosa
• Chromatic Red - Such as Cadmium red or Genuine Vermillion
• Cobalt Blue - I use Old Holland
• Alizarin Crimson - I use Michael Harding
• Raw Umber or Burnt Umber
• Ivory Black - I use Bone Black by Rublev
We'll be working on one painting, so you'll need just one support to paint on. I often use oil primed linen with a medium to fine weave, but feel free to bring any surface you prefer to paint on. The approximate size that we'll be working is 17 x 21 inches (43cm x 54cm)
• Cold Pressed Linseed Oil
• Odorless Mineral Spirits
Having brushes in a variety of sizes is essential. When you are painting you could easily use 10 or more brushes during each painting session. Keep that in mind when deciding how many brushes to bring. Allow for the majority of your brushes to be Filbert shaped hog hair bristle brushes, but add some smaller sable or mongoose hair brushes to the mix.
Some brushes I use are -
• Robert Simmons (Signet Series) Filbert Sizes 1, 3 & 6
• Rosemary & Co. 'Eclipse' Long Filbert Sizes 1, 2 & 3
• Escoda 'Rustico' (Mongoose) Sizes 1-4
• Palette of your choice
• Palette cup to hold medium
• Mineral spirits container for cleaning brushes
• Large teardrop shaped palette knife
• Paper towels
• Small, hand-held mirror or pocket mirror
• Container for storing paint mixtures overnight. This can be a simple tupperware or I use a "Masterson Sta-Wet Handy Palette"
Five days of tuition, end of workshop aperitif.
What's no included
Materials and accomodation.
The Paris Academy of Art is an approved atelier by the Art Renewal Center
- July 22 > 26, 2019
- 78 rue Raspail - 92270 Bois-Colombes
- 5 jours
- 9am to 12pm - 1pm to 4pm
- 15 places
- Figure Drawing and Painting